Sunday, April 17, 2011

Blind Dating for Fun and Profit

Blind dates are not all bad.  My sister met her husband 32 year ago on a blind date.  I, however, have had a less than stellar history in that area.  I think it's because of the phobia brought on by my first one.


It was the fall of my college junior year.  Homecoming was approaching.  I had never gone.  I didn't have an interest in finding a date, putting on uncomfortable clothes and eating rubber chicken.  I was planning on going home for Momma's cooking and free laundry.  My fraternity brother, Jimmy Dean had other plans for me.


He wanted to go out with a girl.  She wouldn't date him unless her friend came along.  It was only a couple days until the big weekend and JD was desperate.  He came to me and asked me if I'd take the friend out.  I said no.  He begged.  I said no.  He offered to pay.  I said no.  Finally, he resorted to "brotherhood" bullshit.  Guilt set in and I agreed.  


I met my date on Tuesday afternoon at the intramural fields.  She seemed OK.  She was cute and was wearing wayfarers.  At least she had style.


Friday rolled around and JD and I went to pick up our dates for the barbecue.  The evening went ok.  She wasn't a great conversationalist and I found it weird that she never took those sunglasses off.  After the party, I took her home and arranged to pick her up for Saturday's football game.


Saturday rolled around.  I picked her up and we went to the stadium.  We didn't talk much, and she still had on those sunglasses.  The game ended.  I took her home to change for the evening's dinner.


We arrived at the restaurant and sat down.  When she placed her gum on the side of her wine glass, I knew the weekend was taking a nose dive.  Then, during the main course, the sunglasses came off.  She was crossed eyed.  I'm not talking about a lazy eye.  It was wandering.  I remained a gentleman, and persevered. The evening ended and I took her home.


I stormed back to the fraternity house to confront JD.  I asked him why he didn't to tell me about her little problem.  "Because you wouldn't have gone out with her and I would have been without a date."  It was my first taste of the frat's unofficial motto: "Never miss the opportunity to screw over your brother."


I vowed to get him back.  It took me until my senior year, but I finally got him back.  JD had a crush on a girl from Clovis.  He was a bit shy and was afraid to introduce himself. What JD didn't know was I had a little thing for her as well.  I'd gone out with her a time or two and liked her.  Unfortunately, she seemed to find me a little annoying.  


We were at the Greek dance and he saw her.  He started driving me crazy talking about her.  Then, I saw the opportunity for a little pay back.  I told him I would introduce him.  I went up to her and began chatting her up.  I kept looking back at JD.  He was really excited.  


What he didn't know was I had no intentions of her meeting him.  She told me she was bored.  I suggested we go somewhere else. I'm not normally that bold, but I was on a mission.  She agreed.  She grabbed her coat and we left.  


I looked back at JD and smiled.  He looked like he'd been kicked.  


"Never miss the opportunity the screw over a brother."

No comments:

Post a Comment