Wednesday, January 19, 2011

IT'S MY WORLD AND YOU'RE WELCOME TO IT

I live in Radiation Valley, New Mexico.  It’s the municipal seat of Geiger County.  We are proud to be the Alien Abduction Capital of the Southwest.  We couldn’t be prouder.  Let Roswell have its crash site.  Our little green men don’t have accidents and drive up the insurance rates.

As you’ve probably figured out, there is no more Mrs. Uncle Rusty.  She packed her bags, stole my dog and left for Reno years ago.  Last I heard she was the Keno Caller at Slot of Fun.  If you’re ever up there stop in and tell her, “Hi.” 

 I reside at the Happy Acres Mobile Home Resort located right off Exit 147 on Route 66.  I’ve got the Double wide Fleetwood Imperial Grand Deluxe parked in slot number 47. It has all the amenities.  There’s genuine white oak wood paneling, and a sunken great room.  The chandelier has 2500 faceted plastic crystals that beautifully reflect the glow of the truck stop sign.  As the light bounces off my Georgia O’Keefe prints, I feel swept up in Santa Fe style. The Kokopellis sit on the bookshelf and stand guard over my Tony Hillerman paperback collection.

Of course, the piece de resistance is my master bedroom.  The walls are decorated with every Jimmy Buffett tour poster from 1974 to 1987.  All are framed and signed by Gregg “Fingers” Taylor.  Jimmy’s own harmonica player.    Mike Utley signed the 1982 poster.  He played keyboards on “Cheeseburger in Paradise.”

The Dos Equis sign provides the correct ambiance for the those “special” evenings at Uncle Rusty’s.  


Keeping with the antique theme of the room,  I have a Blue Magic Evolution III water bed.  The zebra sheets contrast so nicely with the cherry bomb red shag carpeting.  It was hard to find.  I had to have it imported all the way from Dalton, Georgia.

The AMC Gremlin on the side of the house doesn’t run.  Since I’m a self proclaimed hipster, I keep it around to be ironical.  Also, it’s a great home for Ferrell cats.  I drive the Black Dodge Ramcharger with the winged skull on the hood. 

I own Rusty’s TV and VCR Repair.  Business has been a little slow so I’ve branched out and am a freelance philosopher and soldier of fortune.  Of course I still maintain my Hero to American Youth moniker.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment